Dana will tailor his presentation to meet the needs of your staff development session or present the most motivating student assembly!
Dana’s message is of particular importance to educators. Dana shares his own personal experience as a struggling student. Dana’s grades and experiences in a traditional school setting did not reflect his true potential. His many achievements include: member of the US Army’s elite parachute team, the Golden Knights; Special Forces Green Beret and a distinguished honor graduate of Ranger School; Sniper School, and Combat Diver School; Bachelor’s degree in commercial aviation; licensed helicopter pilot, seaplane pilot and flight instructor.
Dana’s determination and drive encourage educators to focus on helping ALL students reach their highest potential and prepare them to overcome any barriers they face, both physical and cognitive.
Dana emphasizes the essential role of teachers to:
- Motivate resistant students
- Recognize all students’ strengths and abilities
- Vary teaching approaches to meet learner differences
- Remove barriers to student success
Dana was the first member of his family to earn a college degree and now better understands the importance of providing students with tools to become life-long learners. In addition, educators have the opportunity to increase their understanding of persons with disabilities to encourage support and acceptance of those with challenges.
Sgt. Bowman’s message offers new ideas for the role of schools and community in supporting persons of varied abilities through the networking of resources to support their needs.
Educators’ comments from staff development evaluations:
Dana is inspiring; I’ve heard him 3 times this week and each time I got more ideas to try to inspire my students. These were fantastic useful resources and ideas!
Excellent presentation! Excellent video! Excellent message!
Thank you – it’s not about us, it’s about the children and the future of America. Inspirational and motivating presentation.
Outstanding! I’m inspired to work harder and to help others more. Thank you for this special morning.
Your determination brings strength to others! Thanks!
I can hardly wait to show my kids all that they can do.
Very inspiring! It allows you to look at all aspects of learning and growing, and it gives you ideas on how to help.
Excellent presentation and presenter. What a powerful message! I’m glad that this message will be shared with so many students. I hope their teachers are listening!
The absolute best seminar I have been to for a long time. I so wish my own personal children could have been here beside me to hear this life story. I wish too that Dana could make a personal visit to my 1st grade.
Sgt. Bowman presented his experiences in an articulate manner. His ability to connect his experiences to the challenges that others experience made a powerful argument for focusing on students’ strengths when developing learning plans. Thanks so much!
Sgt. Bowman is a regular person who is striving to communicate the endless possibilities that are available to all of us. Great job!
Very inspiring and it was nice to see a local person making such a monumental difference. Excellent for motivation – getting teachers back in focus of our goals.
Dana Bowman is certainly a force to be reckoned with. His spirit extends forever. Thank you.
Dana shares his very personal story as a struggling student who was resistant to rules and restrictions of school. He encourages students to value teachers and adults as role models. Dana is able to customize his presentations to students at every grade level. Students of all ages are inspired by his achievements, challenges and strong will to overcome adversity.
Dana’s presentation includes a video accompanied by his live narration of his life in the military, the accident and his recovery. Students are captivated and literally “on the edge of their seats” in every presentation. Assemblies may also include time for questions as well as a time for Dana to autograph his special posters. "My message is for everyone young, old, able, disabled," he said. "I just want people to see how limitless their lives are. Look at me, I lost everything, and here I am. If I can do it, anyone can."
Dana believes his message helps students to:
Believe in their ability to achieve any goal or dream.
“Never quit!” Face barriers and adversity with courage and conviction.
See each day as an opportunity to “give back” to their community.
Seek positive role models and learn from their experiences.
Gain a better understanding of persons with disabilities.
Accept change and expect only greatness!
Dana will jump, quite literally into your school event, a breath-taking and inspirational sight, and the perfect way to begin an unforgettable keynote with Dana! He jumps into presentations over 100 times per year to “hook” the audience. All wide-eyed attendees will watch a double amputee land on a dime—every time!
Dana helps those who hear his story believe. Believe that miracles do happen, believe that hard work and perseverance reap rewards, believe that we all can make a difference and most importantly, believe that we all should.
"My life changed in one split second," Dana says. "But I'm here to say you can still make a difference. Our society today needs positive role models. I challenge all of you to learn and give back something." His motto “ It’s not the disability, it’s the ability! Never quit!”TM says it all!
Comments from student evaluations:
· Dana taught us a lot about never giving up.
· I have a disability, and Dana taught me to live how I want to!
· You are a great man! You showed me that I can do anything! Other schools should have you speak to them.
· Dana is awesome! I can’t believe he can still walk and do all those other things! It’s amazing!
· Dana was the first speaker we’ve ever had that wasn’t boring! It was very exciting!
· Seeing the video, and seeing what Dana does now makes you believe that you can do anything! Because you can!
· You suddenly realize how quickly your life can change!
· I know I can achieve anything now!
· My problems don’t seem so big or bad anymore.
· I’m going to work harder on my life goals.
· I will always remember “It’s not the disability, it’s the ability”
· Nothing is impossible in this world
· His story filled my heart to want to do more with my life.
· Dana helped me to realize that people with disabilities can still do things without the help of others, also that you shouldn’t look at them as their disability, but as a real person.
· I will refer to him when times are tough and overcome the obstacle that is in my way.
Educators had the following comments following student assemblies:
· Dana’s appearance, sincerity and general attitude were very appropriate for youth. I would recommend him to other schools. –8th grade teacher
· Dana is a real American hero. He is a great motivator and truly speaks to the hearts of both students and faculty. – 6th grade teacher
· We should do this again, if possible. –Middle school teacher
· The students were definitely inspired. -High school teacher
· This is the best behavior I have seen from the students. - Middle school principal.
· We will continue to discuss Dana in our classes. - 8th grade teacher
· I am going to recommend him to teachers in other districts to be sure their students hear him speak! - High school teacher
· After hearing Sgt. Bowman's presentation, my students had a new outlook on what they can accomplish if they put in 100% effort. They also realized after seeing the challenges that Sgt. Bowman has overcome that some of the obstacles in their lives are minor in comparison. They now know that they can do it too! – Middle school teacher
For more information on scheduling Dana for a student presentation, special event or staff development for your schools:Contact Dana at DanaBowman@aol.com